This afternoon I am picking up my driveshaft. When I called originally, they wanted $185 to tear down and rebuild the entire thing. But I decided to do it myself. After a dozen hours or so of pounding, I finally got the old universal joints out. Then I spent another few hours trying to get the carrier bearing off. After all of that, I gave up.
When they called to tell me it was finished, I found out that I had saved $19.90 by taking the u-joints out. But considering the time spent and that I still have a thumbnail that hasn't healed from hitting it with a hammer while trying to push one of the joints out, I now wish I had spent that money and saved my thumb instead.