Monday, June 06, 2005

Bed Pics

Unlike the cherry bed that poor Brianna is probably still waiting for, MY bed is finished. OK that is a lie. I should say the truck bed is DONE. But not complete, done as in worn out... And it only took 37 years to get it done...

When I got the steel out, this is what was staring back at me. Not much wood left. And the steel strips that hold the wood in place are gone, too. Hopefully the supports that bolt to the frame will be good enough to re-use, but none of the other floor structure will be. Here is another look at the tailgate end of the once-upon-a-time-bed floor.

If you look close, there are several spots where you can still see the original blue paint on the wood and the bed strips. I don't even want to know what is in that paint. Especially since I did all of the destruction yesterday wearing a goggles, gloves, blue jeans and my Birkenstocks.

Here is a look at the installed wooden floor. I cross braced the underside of the wood, so the The Talker won't fall through if he decides that he just has to dance or jump around in the truck bed. And there is a better chance of that happening than of Brianna ever getting to sleep in her pretty bed.

2 comments:

Darth Daddy said...

The good thing about having to fabricate pieces (even body structure stuff) is that you have a chance to make it 100 times beter than the factory did. There were a lot of times when I was in awe at some rust damage ( in the 77 hearse), but after cleaning and reinforcing, I was sure that I ended up with a whoopass end product. The factory will do things to a certain level, but if you know it's a problem area( time will tell), you can really mturn it into a rock hard area. The car may fall apart,but at least I know the parts I reinforce wont.

Shannon

Mike said...

I don't know how much fabrication I'll have to do. Luckily these parts are all available still. Of course a new complete bed floor is going to set me back about $500, so I might do the woodwork myself to save a little $.

But the bed floor is not happening until the very end. After running engine, brakes, all the more important stuff.

I'll just keep replacing plywood until then.