Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Odd Things, #'s 5 and 6

What's this called? No, not the hose, the filter. It came off of the passenger side head cover, and vented from the air cleaner through the hose. I have asked over at the 67-72 Chevy Forums, but no one told me what it actually is called.

Now this part, they knew what it was. No, not the spark plug, the other piece. It is a non fouler. If a spark plug is getting ruined, you could screw the non fouler into the block and then install the spark plug. Now I know.

When it came out, attached to the spark plug, I was wondering if I was in big trouble. Had I really screwed up and removed something that was not supposed to come out of the block? The plug and non fouler were so rusted together, that I thought maybe part of the plug had broken off in the cylinder.

Glad that is not the case.

I tried to find some cheap spark plugs last night, at Wal-Mart, but their cross reference materials only went back to 1973 on the computer, and 1980 in the printed book. And since they only had Autolite spark plugs, I could not tell which to use. So, no plugs installed. Maybe this weekend.


Rick said...

I got my plugs at Wal-Mart. I can't remember how I found the correct number.

Darth Daddy said...

(If that's what I think it is)That filter is called something like an "breather valve" or something similar. It takes the oil vapor, fitlers it (so it can get clogged over time), and passes condensation back to the engine. I replaced one on my 77 Chrysler hearse - prior to this, it had been runnign rough. After, it ran smooth.
(Hope Im describing the right part to you)

Darth Daddy said...

Ooopsie - I think I had the right part, but described it wrong. I think oil vapor rises to the filter - the oil returns to liquid, and falls back down - while the vapor travels thru the filter to the air filter area.

As for the spark plugs:
1. Always best to check with www.advanceautoparts.com for parts/spark plug numbers on old as dirt cars. It's always a pain finding plugs and such at Walmart, without looking the numbers up online first.

(I have a 1977 Chryser Town and Country hearse - and a 1969 Caddilac Fleetwood Broughm hearse.

Darth Daddy said...

Sorry to comment so much, but is that other piece a spark plug extender??

Mike said...

They guys identified it as a "non fouler". Evidently, it moves the plug out of the block, to keep the spark further from the crud.

Ther was a guy in my high school with a hearse and a BOOMING stereo inside took up lots of the back area.