Sunday, March 27, 2005

The Easter Bunny brought me a 307

I have been searching for the front engine code stamp on the 68. It is supposed to be on the right front of the block, lower on the block than the head cover. Confused? Yeah, so was I.

Guess where it was. Right where it was supposed to be.

I got out there while the family napped, and hit the entire area with some WD40 and super fine steel wool. 37 years of gunk comes off pretty easily this way. And after 10 minutes of scrubbing and doubting, there it was. Shining back at me.

V070WA

And after some searching on the net, the code evidently breaks down like this...

The build location
V= A V8 Engine, made in Flint, Michigan

The build date
07= Seventh month of the year (July)
02= 2nd day of the month

The engine CID
WA= 307 Cubic Inch Displacement.

Now commonly known as a 5.0 liter V8

Cool! I have been wondering since I first decided to bring the truck home. After chatting with people on the net, who know everything about these old trucks, I assumed it had a 307 in it, but it is great to now know for certain.

No comments: